Think Botox is used exclusively for wrinkle treatment? Think again!
Though it is best-known for its skin-smoothing properties, the possibilities of Botox extend far beyond the realm of skin care. In fact, Allergan, the company that owns Botox, holds roughly 800 patents for potential uses of the drug.
We aren’t going to touch on every possible use for Botox, but here are six examples of FDA-approved treatments which you may not be aware of:
- Migraines. Botox can be used to treat migraine headaches through injections to seven different locations in the temples, neck, shoulders, and forehead.
- Excessive sweating. Do you suffer from severe underarm sweating? Not anymore. Botox can be injected straight into your sweat glands to temporarily block chemical signals and prevent excessive sweating.
- Muscle stiffness. Botox can help ease muscle stiffness in the elbows, wrists, and fingers.
- Overactive bladder. Botox is frequently used to treat symptoms of incontinence and overactive bladders.
- Chronic neck pain. Studies have shown Botox can significantly improve pain levels and overall quality of life for those who suffer from chronic neck pain.
- Eyelid spasms. Constantly-twitching eyelids can be cured with simple Botox injections.
But wait, there’s more! While the following items are not FDA-approved, physicians across the country have been known to use Botox to treat:
- Depression. The jury is still out on this one, but Botox may help improve symptoms of depression due to the “facial feedback hypothesis”.
- Jaw reduction. Botox can help transform square, masculine jaws into oval, heart-shaped, feminine jaws.
- Eyebrow lifts. A quick and less drastic alternative to a popular surgical procedure.
- “Gummy” smiles. Botox can help reduce gummy smiles, which occur when the upper lip elevates too much, showing a significant portion of the gums.
- Jaw tension. Botox may help ease the symptoms of several jaw disorders, including severe tension, lock jaw and TMJ Disorder.
To learn more about these alternative uses for Botox, check out this article from Time.com.
NuWave Medical, PLLC offers professional Botox treatments to residents across Long Island and New York City. Contact us online to schedule an appointment with one of our medical aestheticians, or give us a call at (631) 343-7144.