The older you get, the more things begin to change — especially your body. Your full head of hair is slowly disappearing, your favorite foods give you heartburn, and what used to be routine activities suddenly make you sore.
It is for these reasons (and more) that your nutritional needs as a mature adult vary drastically from those in your younger years. These seven vitamins in particular are essential for anyone over the age of 40:
1. Vitamin B12: essential for blood and brain function, vitamin B12 is more poorly absorbed as the body ages. Aim for 2.4 mg per day.
2. Calcium: builds strong bones. Our body’s tend to become more frail as we age, so upping your calcium intake is a good way to prevent fractures. Aim for 1,200 mg per day.
3. Vitamin D: helps the body absorb calcium, and can ward off diabetes, heart disease, and certain forms of cancer. Aim for 600-800 IU per day.
4. Magnesium: regulates blood pressure, helps defend against heart disease, and plays a role in muscular and nerve function. Found in abundance in dark leafy greens, beans, soy, nuts, and seeds. Aim for 350 mg per day.
5.Potassium: like magnesium, helps keep your blood pressure levels in check. Aim for 4.7g per day, and avoid supplements if possible. Potassium is naturally found in bananas, sweet potatoes, chard, and beans.
6. Omega-3s: proof that not all fats are bad. Omega-3 fatty acids are loaded with health benefits, including lower blood pressure, reduced bad cholesterol, and increased brain function. Aim for 500 mg per day if you are healthy, 1,000 mg if you have heart disease.
7. Probiotics: maintain a healthy digestive tract and can regulate weight. Since probiotics are living cultures, you can’t get them from cooked foods.
NuWave Medical, PLLC offers hormone replacement therapy to men and women across New York. With three convenient offices in Long Island and Manhattan, help is never far away. Contact us online to schedule a consultation with one of our hormone specialists, or call (631) 343-7144.